Student internships are an integral part of Africa Agenda’s mission and vision. While our mission focuses on bringing balance and proportionality to the reportage of African news, we also aim to instill the journalistic principles of trust, fairness, and objectivity in our trainees. More than this, mentorship, motivation, and inspiration are a part of who we are as an organization.
Since 2015 Africa Agenda has offered journalism internship opportunities to students from the University of Denver (DU) and the Metropolitan State University of Denver. Some of our interns, trainees, and volunteers have gone to work for organizations such as CBS News, Devex, and the National Cooperative Business Association in Washington D.C.
Internships at Africa Agenda normally last from 6 to 9 months and include weekly on-site meetings with a supervisor and other Africa Agenda staff members. While a background in journalism or international affairs may be helpful, it is not a requirement to work with us.
[media-credit name=”Africa Agenda” align=”alignnone” width=”692″][/media-credit]A typical Africa Agenda intern does the following:
- Write a weekly post, a column on Africa Agenda’s content website, Africa News Matters.
- Use Twitter, Facebook, and other social media, technology tools to manage campaigns.
- Conduct outreach to the community for our Africa events
- Respond via email or telephone call to requests for Africa-related information.
- Craft media releases, and develop a list of media contacts.
- Research, develop, and post information regularly to an events calendar.
- Plan meetings, conduct interviews and report the results.
Some of the competencies that we hope to see each of our interns develop following their time with us include the following:
- Develop and build relationships with a local community, and other journalists.
- Learn how to manage time, multi-task, and be organized
- Develop a global mindset, be strategic, and adapt to the changing media landscape.
- Ability to log in, post, and edit information using WordPress CMS, LinkedIn, Facebook.
- Learn how to be a good listener.